Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Suggestion to Beat the Lonesomeness of Book Signings



Reading the article from Nancy Mehl at The Borrowed Book yesterday got me to thinking about book signings. As she suggested, newbies often think it will be a time when the lines are long and the media’s presence so thick you will have to wear sunglasses to protect against camera flashes. The reality is much more, shall we say, solitary.
But rather than reiterate what Nancy so nicely expressed, I’ll offer the best solution for book signing lonesomeness--group therapy. Early on--before I was published--I learned that the absolute best book signings were those you shared with other authors. If family and friends turn out for you, then multiply that support by two, or three--depending on how many authors are signing at one time--and you’ve got a very nice showing of people. 
Additionally, it is much, much easier to advertise someone else’s books than it is your own as people enter the store. It feels less self-serving. The author I was with didn’t quite catch on to what I was doing and reciprocate, but that was okay. When customers took my suggestion and looked at her books, my table was set up right next to hers so, if nothing else, our visitors got a glimpse of my titles and I was able to explain that I, too, was an author.
If that’s not reason enough, how about this: If refreshments are offered, then the group of authors can produce a myriad of tasty treats rather than simply one, and the cost can be shared. Another big draw is giveaways. People love to get things for free. By offering a variety of gift cards and/or other goodies, you are giving people more of a reason to relax and linger in the store where you are signing as they wait for the winner to be announced.
Last of all, and perhaps the biggest and best reason to go into a book signing with other authors, is for the ability to talk shop. Writing is a solitary calling and it’s always nice to meet people face to face who share your passion for fiction. That in itself can make the book signing feel successful!
P.S. To go along with the topic, Spyglass Authors are having a Twitter Party Friday night, 7/20, from 6-8 pm, EST. We’re giving away giftcards and a Kindle ereader! For more information on how to participate: http://www.spyglasslanemysteries.com/twitter-party/
Now for an extra treat. Scroll down for Cozy Mag’s very own giveaway! Enter to win loads of ebooks and have them ready to read for that summer vacation.

S. Dionne Moore is a t recently named 2012 Carol Award finalist for Promise of Time, a historical romance found in the compilation Promise Brides. Her first book, Murder on the Ol’ Bunions, has just been released in Ebook format along with books two and three in the series, Polly Dent Loses Grip and Your Goose is Cooked. Her tenth book, A Heartbeat Away, releases as part of the Abingdon Quilts of Love series in May 2013.

5 comments:

  1. Sandy this is a great idea. Other places I've had book signings are writer conventions, and book fairs. I'm looking forward to a big book fair in Dahlonega, GA this November!
    Debbie Malone
    "Death in Dahlonega"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to one book event - an all day festival of the arts, which also featured sculptors, school-age artists and craftsmen. That was the highlight of my author career of two years! Being with my own kind was such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra--I put on the Meet The Christian Authors Event for four years in a row. Besides the authors, we featured a harpist and gave away a free Nook (the event was in Barnes & Noble). We started with 50 authors the first year, 10 the second and settled down on 20 for the third and fourth years. The fourth year was my favorite. We had a great turnout and lots of fun schmoozing and selling with our fellow authors.
    I love selling next to other authors too, but have been to a few other events where some authors are cut-throat. They do not recommend other authors books. They move your candy, books, cards, etc. to the side. Some have posted friends at the doors with flyers to send people to them or put on airs! Isn't it odd? I have to add that these particular authors were strangers to me (and I sincerely hope to keep it that way:) The authors I know (most are part of ACFW) are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great ideas! I would love to put together a book signing with some of my local author pals. Its so much more fun together :)

    ReplyDelete