Wednesday, October 24, 2012

No Bake Oat Bars with Ribbons of Caramel and Chocolate


If you know me at all, you know I love chocolate and that dark chocolate is my favorite. This means chocolate needs to be inserted into almost any candy or baked dessert that I make. But I have a secret. I discovered the wonders of caramel this week. And this isn’t just any caramel, but a soft, gooey, do-it-in-the-microwave-for-6-minutes caramel.

Combining this wonderful caramel recipe (http://cbsop.com/recipes/salted-microwave-caramels/) minus the salt, with this no bake oatmeal bar recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-bake-chocolate-oat-bars/#) and I got this. 

Note there are some changes to the oatmeal bar recipe.

Caramel:
1/4 butter (1/2 stick) (salted is fine for this recipe)
1/2 c. Karo Syrup
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk

In a large bowl (please heed this warning, the sides must be high because this bubbles and rises in the microwave and you will have a royal mess if the bowl is not tall enough) combine all ingredients except butter. Stir sugars and condensed milk until smooth, add butter. Pop in microwave for 6 minutes, stopping at 2 minutes intervals to stir the mixture, or if you would rather, set the timer for 2 minutes, stir, 2 more minutes, stir, then the final two minutes. Let mixture cool a bit as you put together the bars.

Oat & Chocolate Bars:

1 1/2 sticks butter (less if you prefer because the caramel will help the oats to stick)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
In medium saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and vanilla and 
stir until combined. Stir in oats until coated. Layer half of oat mixture in bottom of lightly sprayed 9×9 pan (I used a tart pan, so the layer was thinner). Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter until smooth. Add chocolate over oat layer and top with remaining mixture.

Over all this, pour the cooled caramel and place in refrigerator for 1 hour until everything has cooled and set. Cut into squares and enjoy!

S. Dionne Moore enjoys life in the 
historically rich Cumberland Valley where traffic jams are a thing of the past and there are only two stoplights in the whole town. She is the author of the LaTisha Barnhart Mystery series. 

6 comments:

  1. Makes me wish I still ate dessert!!!

    ~Nancy Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to tempt you then. Hey, are you going to post a pic of the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I get some photos, I'll post. Waiting for the happy couple to return from their honeymoon cruise!

      ~Nancy Jill

      Delete
  3. Chocolate? Ribbons of caramel? Sign me up! That looks sooo scrumptious I think I need to make it for the party I'm going to this weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me what you think! I just made another batch for a get together and added toasted pecans to the oatmeal. Can't wait to cut into them, but I have to be good tonight. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toasted pecans would make ANYTHING better!

      ~Nancy Jill

      Delete