I am soooo done with my Christmas shopping and mailing! Three cheers! Now I'm working on my annual Christmas/New Year's letter. Yes, I kind of flipped things around--the letters are supposed to go out early in December, but hey, whatever works, right?
I've also done a bit of baking--some cookies, some fudge. I thought I might want to do more, but I'm sort of okay with what I've already done. Instead of pushing myself ever further, I've learned to just be happy right where I am.
Writing is like that too. Some authors are so ambitious or maybe obsessed is a better word. All they ever do is write. They don't take time to interact with their spouse or children, even pets. They hide behind a laptop, occasionally coming up for air and food. But do you ever want to be so driven that you drive others away? I think not.
A ship without ballast will lean to one side and certainly sink in time. It's all about balance. In the new year, aim to find that place. Talk to your family. Find out how they feel about all the time you spend writing. Work out a schedule that works with your loved ones. Kids grow up and are gone before you know it. And your husband or wife shouldn't have to make an appointment to talk you!
I love writing, and at times, it's been an idol in my life. But I learned to put writing in it's place. It's not my life, writing is a part of who I am. So is my faith, my family, my friends.
I hope you find you balance. What could be more satisfying than to be loved by God, doing what He created you to do, and being surrounded by a loving circle of family and friends? I am so blessed to be a writer! May you be blessed as well--in whatever God created YOU to do!
Our Twelve Cozies of Christmas Giveaway continues through December 23rd! Details on how to enter below. All you have to do is Tweet or post a Pinterest Board to be entered!
‘Tis the season for a great whodunnit!
If you love cozies as much as we do, then you’re in for a holiday treat! From December 12 – 23, we’re giving away one cozy mystery EVERY DAY!
So light the fireplace and grab a cup of hot cocoa, because you just may have a free cozy mystery coming your way!
HOW TO ENTER
There are two ways to enter:
- Create a Pinboard entitled My 12 Cozies of Christmas. Fill it with 12 Spyglass Lane titles that either you want to read, or have already read and love! Be sure to use the #12CoziesofChristmas hashtag in the description of each pinned book cover. One pinboard will automatically enter you in each daily drawing!
- Tweet about Spyglass Lane mysteries. Simply Tweet about the giveaway or one of your favorite Spyglass Lane Mysteries or authors and include the #12CoziesofChristmas hashtag along with the www.spyglasslanemysteries.com link. You may Tweet as many times as you want each day! Only Tweets sent out the day of the giveaway will be considered for that day’s drawing.
Follow us on the Spyglass Lane blog, Twitter @SpyglassMystery or Facebook for the latest info on the 12 Cozies of Christmas giveaway! Each day, we’ll reveal which Spyglass Lane cozy mystery we’ll be giving away.
- Each day, we will reveal which Spyglass Lane mystery will be given away that day
- A “giveaway day” runs from 12AM EST to 11:59PM EST.
- There will be one winner per day
- Winners will be announced the following morning
- A Pinboard (see rules above) counts as one entry each day of the giveaway. Tweets (see rules above) only apply to the day in which they were originally Tweeted. For example, if you send 10 Tweets on Thursday the 13th, you will be entered 10 times in that day’s drawing. But those Tweets will not apply to the next day’s drawing.
- Winners will be chosen via Randomizer.org, with Tweets and Pinboards each assigned a unique number
- Winners will be announced via our blog, Twitter @SpyglassMystery or Facebook. Winners will be contacted via email or social media. If a winner does not hear from Spyglass Lane, they may contact us at SpyglassLaneMysteries (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Winners will receive their prize in the form of a Smashwords coupon that they can redeem at Smashwords.com. Smashwords accommodates all ereader devices, though it may require the device to be directly connected to a computer for proper download.
- The same person may win more than once!
- There is no entry limit
- Participants are expected to play nice! Inappropriate behavior (including but not limited to foul language, bullying, trolling, arguing) will not be tolerated and Spyglass Lane reserves the right to exclude such people from these and future giveaways